October 09, 2015

30 Day Small Business Cleanse: Day 8

Yesterday: Delete apps from your phone or tablet that you don’t use. Organize the apps you do use in order to optimize your device’s layout.


This exercise was pretty straight forward, but applied to us differently. While we share a lot of the responsibilities of running our business, we also play different roles. We decided to each talk about how we approached yesterday's assignment. We do not have a tablet at this time, we both have iPhone 5S smart phones.

Robin: I don't use my phone for business as much as Rosemary does. I began by reorganizing the layout of my apps within my phone. Previously, I had my business-related apps spread out over my phone's three screens. So the first thing I did was to move everything Ink+Smog related to the first screen. I then played with the layout, taking apps out of folders and making them more accessible. I also deleted a few apps that I'd tried at different times but never really used for one reason or another. The one thing that I still need to do, is go through and delete old text messages, the data portion of my phone keeps growing and I feel like I need to get it a little more under control.

Rosemary: I've been spending a lot of time on my phone over the past year but especially over the past few months. I was really sick for a lot of my pregnancy, and so ended up working from my phone a lot. In that time, I've moved my apps around countless times, optimizing the apps I use for the business while make room for pregnancy and now baby apps. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how my app layout. The first thing I did, was go through my apps and delete ones that I use infrequently or not at all. I then went through and cleaned up the ones that I do use. Honestly, cleaning up my favorites in Safari is what has made the most difference for me. I used to keep countless windows open all the time. Now, with the pages I actually need stored as favorites, I don't have to spend all that time hunting around for what I need. I too need to delete old text messages. I've already downsized a great deal, but there's more to be done.

We both found this to be a really helpful exercise. It helped us figure out what tools we're each using and how we're using them. It was also a great opportunity to share the tips and tricks we've each come up with along the way.

Today: Make a list of your company’s strengths and weaknesses. Be honest and ruthless. Create an action plan to implement the changes you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment